
Merritt D. Cutler
Awarded the Distinguished Service Cross
Cutler, Merritt D. (1211452)
Near Ronssoy, France, September 29, 1918.
Residence at entry into service- Freeport, NY
Place of birth- New York, NY
G. O. No. 32, W. D., 1919
.
Corporal, Company I, 107th Infantry, 27th D
Although suffering from wounds, he went forth under treacherous enemy fire and dragged two wounded comrades to safety. Later the same day he organized a stretcher party and brought in 3 wounded comrades under machine-gun fire, which was so severe that it had stopped the advance of neighboring troops.
"I'm glad I earned by DSC for the lives I saved, not for the men I killed." Merritt D. Cutler.
Sources:
American Decorations: List of Awards of the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross and the Distinguished Service Medal Awarded Under Authority of the Congress of the United States. 1862-1926. GPO: Washington, DC, 1927.
.
Berry, Henry. Make the Kaiser Dance. Garden City, NY: Double Day, 1978.