Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Biographical Sketches of Famous Freeporters

Brooklyn and Long Island in the War:
A Record of Deeds and Casualty List
Brooklyn Daily Eagle, December 1918

page 96
Corps. C. P. Gould and H. E. Maxon
Only a few monts ago the Rev. Gould, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Freeport, L.I., paid the last tribute to Aviator William Cinton Story, first of Freeport's young sons to lose his life in this war, and now his own son, Corp. Charles P. Gould of Co. I 107th Inf., has paid the supreme sacrifice. He and schoolmate, Corp. Harold E. Maxon of the same company wre killed in action in the Cambrai-St. Quentin drive on September 29.

Both young men, who were under 20 enlisted in the Seventh Regt. at the beginning of the war. They had been friends from boyhood. No details have been received concerning the deaths of the two young men. The Rev. Sidney Gould, father of the fallant corporate, collapsed in his pulpit last summer as the resul of nervous breakdown and was given an indefinite leave of absence by his congregation.

Nine other Freeport boys have gicen up their lives in the conflict to date. They are Thomas W. Benham, Navy; Lt. de Kruijff, aviator; William E. Ensko, James C. Rich, Walter Whittaker, Henry T. Mohr, Arthur J. Smith, Harold W. Humbert of the Army, and William Clinton Story, an aviator.

page 142
Sgt. William F. Downs
Sgt. William F. Downs of South Side ave., Freeport, died in France on November 27, of Spanish influenza. During his 18 months of service in the Army he was in the cavalry, aviation and tank branches. He enlisted in First Cavalry in April, 1917, transferred to the aviation section and he became an observer. He finally landed into Tank Corps and, after training at Gettysburg, was made an instructor of gunnery. He sailed for France last September. He attended the Freeport public schools and played on the high school football eleven for several seasons. He was a member of the Freeport Presbyterian Church.

page 156
Thomas W. Benham
Freeport, L.I. 33 years old. Formerly served eight years in the Army. Reported killed in boiler explosion on U.S.S. Nopatin in foreign waters.

page 160
Lt. Theodore De Kruliff
97 Lexington ave., Freeport, L.I. Graduated from Curtis School of Aviation. Went to France in January, 1917, and passed the government schools at Avord and Tau. Later became a member of the Escadrille Lafayette. In May, 1918, he was transferred to the U.S. Army, with rank of lieutenant in the Aviation Section. While training at Buffalo he fell 500 feet. Died of pneumonia in Southern France.

page 161
Sgt. William E. Ensko
30 years old. Co. A, 318th Pioneer Inf. Was killed in an automobile accident at the front, July 28, 1918.


page 164
Corp. Charles P. Gould
66 Church st., Freeport. Co. I 107th Inf. 20 years old. Killed in action on September 29, 1918.


page 171
Corp. Harold E. Maxon
Freeport, L.I. 19 years old, Co I. 107th Inf. Killed in action on September 29, 1918.

page 177
Pvt. Henry T. Mohr
96 Newton blvd., Freeport, L.I. Killed in action.

page 178
Cadet William C. Story
Freeport, L.I.; 25 years old. Attached to the Aviation Section. Killed on February 26, 1918, over Park Field, Memphis, Tenn.

page 182
Pvt. Walter Whittaker
Freeport, L.I. 26 years old. Co. F, 369th Inf. Died of wounds received in action.